Al tifrosh min hatzibur (Do not distance yourself from the community)
--Pirkei Avot

Federation’s Committee on Inclusion and Disabilities (CID), Co-Chaired by Sheila Wolfe and Patty Salcedo, meets regularly to improve awareness and develop outreach strategies related to those in the Jewish community with disabilities. CID came together as a grass roots effort to celebrate Jewish Disabilities Awareness Month (JDAM). Since the February 2011 JDAM weekend, this committee has continued to pursue their dedication to work toward disability awareness and inclusion in the Sacramento Jewish community.

Our Committee is composed of individuals with a wide range of experience working with disability issues, including parents/family members, professionals who work with the disability community, and advocates.

For more information, contact

Dates & Details

IDEA Full Funding Act
When the "Education for All Handicapped Children Act," now the "Individuals with Disabilities Education Act," was enacted, the Federation government was only responsible for covering 40% of the costs of education students with disabilities while the States would pay the remaining 60%. Nearly 41 years later, Congress has failed to fund the requirements of this law. Please ask your member of Congress to become a co-sponsor of HR 551, the "IDEA Full Funding Act," so that students with disabilities can learn the skills they need to succeed as adults. 

Check out other events and programs happening in our community!

Special Needs Resources

A directory of resources for individuals with special needs is available here. You may also visit the Community Directory. If you know of additional resources, please contact .

"Take Me Home Safely" Program

Across the Sacramento Valley, police agencies respond to caregivers of people with special needs that are missing, and to concerned citizens regarding someone they have found that needs assistance but can’t identify themselves; communicate information about their needs; or who provides for their care. When police respond to these incidents, information is the critical element to provide for the safety of the person involved-- information that is timely, accurate, searchable, and especially information that is accessible across the entire region.

The Take Me Home Safely Program is intended to serve, through expert organizations, people with developmental disabilities or medical conditions that may increase their risk of wandering or being lost, or that may be unable to identify themselves or provide accurate information about their immediate needs.

Four Key Elements of Inclusion*

Inclusion represents a continuum of services and settings appropriate to the needs of the individual which enable that individual tobenefit from and find satisfaction in his/her meaningful participation in the Jewish community. The four key elements of an inclusive Jewish community are:

Accessibility— Ensuring that people with disabilities can access Jewish institutions in our communities and all of the activities held within them.
Acceptance— Understanding that each one of us has a role to play so that all people are welcome and can participate in meaningful ways.
Accommodation— Adapting and modifying the environment or programming to allow people with disabilities to actively participate.
Welcoming— Treating people with disabilities and their families with respect and dignity and celebrating diversity while creating a sense of unity within the Jewish community.

As approved by Jewish Federations of North America Human Services & Public Policy Disability Committee, April 18, 2013.


A more inclusive Jewish community where people with special needs are able to fully participate in educational, spiritual, communal, social and recreational activities. The principles of inclusion and acceptance of diversity shall be embedded as common practice for the long term.

Social inclusion reflects values that are inherent to Jewish Life: Derech Eretz (respectful behavior); Chesed (compassion); K'vod Habriot (encouraging dignity for all), and Tikkun Olam (repairing the world and making it a better place).

Our Mission Is... To lead and promote full participation in Jewish life for people with disabilities and their families within the Jewish community
To increase community awareness of needs and concerns of people with disabilities and their families
To remove barriers faced by people with disabilities and their families
To change negative exclusionary attitudes into a climate of acceptance and support by helping the community to think differently about persons with disabilities
To promote and develop models and champions of barrier-free life
To develop new initiatives to promote inclusion
To support and develop a matrix of resources through partnerships with individuals and organizations